Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The most boring day ever...

If you're wide awake and but should be sleeping, keep reading. If you want to congratulate yourself on how exciting and spectacular your life is, keep reading. And if you want to the know the unretouched and honest details of how I spend my nonwork and nonschool days, keep reading.

Let me set the stage: I cleaned the house yesterday. Scrubbed the bathroom (BLECH!), vacuumed and dusted all the dog hair into oblivion (although, the winter coats are still shedding. Am I crazy?) and did the final two loads of laundry (that have yet to be folded). My friend's message at 3:09 p.m. which began with, "I'm headed to the pool. Drop everything and come!" was obediently heeded and we finished off our swimming with pizza and wings. (mmmmm...) That's not the boring part, but here it comes...

Today, I woke up to the humidifier beeping its full-of-water alarm. I emptied it, started to make pancakes, found out there were no eggs and walked to the grocery store. I finished the pancakes, ate four (small) and started to read "The Last King of Scotland." I didn't wash a single dish, fold a single piece of clothing and watched a boring movie on TV. The ONE bit of excitement was a phone interview for yet another internship (please let this be the last interview!) and a trip to Lincoln for Eric's licensing class. Now, realize that the five sentences above constituted a whole eight hours. What lazy bum I am! But you have to reach rock-bottom before real change occurs.

"Every morning you are handed 24 golden hours. They are one of the few things in this world you get free of charge. If you had all the money in the world, you couldn't buy an extra hour. What will you do with this priceless treasure? Remember, you must use it, as it is given only once. Once wasted, you cannot get it back." - Anonymous

How do you motivate yourself when a day stretches empty before you?

No comments: